Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I've been Dyeing!!!

How easy was that!! This morning I dyed these shorties that I knitted from some wool I have literally had since 1990! I was originally going to make a cream coloured Aran jumper out of it and do have some of it knitted up but I lost interest (I think it actually went out of fashion before I got to finish it!!).
Anyway, all these years the wool has been sitting around (attracting moths!), so I thought I'd use it to make a pair of shorties for Harry...just to try out the pattern (this one) before I got some nicer wool to knit up. Mum actually knitted up a pair for me, just to see how easy the pattern was, and then I had a go...this is the result...



I wish I had taken a pic before I dyed them...you can just see some of the original cream colour on the cuffs (yes, I meant for them to be a bit mottled.). I must say, they were VERY boring before I dyed them. I love them now.
I used this method using food colouring and the microwave. Very easy and you can just do small quantities at a time.

...Then I decided to have a go at some other colours with a couple of unused balls...



The colours came up so nice & bright, now I can't wait to knit something up with this lot.

1 comment: